My Media System

Experiences with nvidia vdpau support in mplayer

Updated: Fixed a bunch of issues by using latest patch for mplayer from here.

I installed a nvidia 9400 fanless graphics card today. I’ve been hearing good things about the rate of their driver development so I thought I’d try it out. My experiences after having tried the latest 180.18 drivers is:

  • A good deal of 1080p mkv’s still crashed after a second or so of playback. Even with the hack posted here.
  • cpu usage is very low (max 20% and the cpu is at 1GHz)

I changed it to my default movie player in MMS to use vdpau by default with the following script to detect extension as vfm is not working yet. Linux kernel was 2.6.27-r2 in case anyone is interested.